From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] General weirdness - a tale of woe.
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 23:21:00
1 On Friday 29 May 2015 16:54:33 Mick wrote:
2 > On Friday 29 May 2015 16:28:57 Alan Grimes wrote:
3 > > What in god's name is that stupid database for anyway? Does it perform
4 > > any useful function? Is there any tool that gives the user any
5 > > measurable benefit that even justifies one one hundredth of the CPU and
6 > > disk bandwidth consumed by this missfeature?
7 >
8 > I think you're preaching to the converted here.
9
10 He is, no doubt about it.
11
12 > I don't think you'll find many advocates in this M/L who support the KDE4
13 > desktop design decision as a sound architectural choice for your average
14 > Linux user.
15
16 He was talking about tying the e-mail client to a database, not about the KDE4
17 desktop, and I've protested at the same thing more than once, sometimes in
18 vigorous terms. Made no difference of course, but then I'm just an insufficiently
19 humble user.
20
21 > I think they were trying to market a desktop for the enterprise and were
22 > following Gnome's approach of semantic content searches.
23
24 It seems to me that, KMail being such a capable e-mail client, there ought to
25 be more than one way of installing it. One of those would be as you say: the
26 way it's going, aimed at corporations with PIM functions and sharing of all
27 manner of things among colleagues. At the other end of the spectrum would be
28 what I think all of us on this list would prefer (those who like KDE, that
29 is), namely a textual manipulator of simple e-mail files.
30
31 The choice could be exercised using something like our USE flags, or it could
32 have dual implementations derived more-or-less automatically from a common
33 code base.
34
35 (In the mid-80s I was working in a project to replace the grid-control
36 computer system in England and Wales. The spec had come from our hardware
37 people (yes, I know) and required us to develop code that would run equally
38 well on Ferranti and GEC machines. The Ferranti scheduling and context-
39 switching methods heavily favoured small numbers of large processes, whereas
40 the GEC imposed a hardware limit of 8K bytes on any running process. We were
41 well on the way to making it work, too. What I suggest for KMail pales into
42 insignificance compared with that mess. It's just a Simple Matter Of
43 Programming, isn't it?)
44
45 > Other than the odd bug here and there I was perfectly happy with KDE3 and
46 > Kmail1 (still using with kde-base/kdepim-meta-4.4.11.1-r1).
47
48 I wonder if there's a way to go back to KMail-1 and import all my e-mails from
49 KMail-2 archive files into it. Would you like to help me, Mick, with ebuilds
50 etc?
53 Rgds
54 Peter