From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel questions
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 19:36:22
1 On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 2:28 PM, Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 08/20/2010 11:44 AM, Marc Joliet wrote:
3 >> Am Fri, 20 Aug 2010 07:43:40 -0700
4 >> schrieb Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>:
5 >>
6 >> [...]
7 >>> I find it amazing, though, that even if I copy my old .config, it still
8 >>> takes me so much time to make sure all the settings are correct for a
9 >>> given machine. Hasn't anyone come up with a handy
10 >>> look-through-my-lspci-output-and-create-a-skeleton-kernel-config tool?
11 >>> Or does it already exist and we just call him "Pappy"?
12 >>
13 >> Not really what you want, but somebody thought of something similar. Since
14 >> Linux 2.6.32 you can do:
15 >>
16 >>       make localmodconfig [1].
17 >>
18 >> That will take the output of lsmod (so you need an already running kernel,
19 >> e.g., from a live CD) and remove all unnecessary modules from the existing
20 >> kernel .config.
21 >>
22 >> [1]: see http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_32, section 1.8.
23 >
24 > Thanks, Marc.
25 >
26 > So, if I boot off the livecd and I have eighty-five sata_ modules and
27 > forty-two RAID modules and 2.5 handsful of various scsi/iscsi modules, I
28 > should probably "modprobe -r" first, all those that aren't applicable to
29 > my given system then run the make? I'll take a look. Thanks again.
30
31 And I suppose you'd also have to beware of any removable devices that
32 you may not have plugged in at the time which require kernel drivers.