From: "Yuri K. Shatroff" <yks-uno@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing pulseaudio
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 17:31:57
1 On 25.04.2013 19:48, Mark David Dumlao wrote:
2 > On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 5:34 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
3 > wrote:
4 >> I think you've hit the nail on the head. Complex setups require
5 >> complex software... deal with it. An analogy is that an
6 >> 18-wheeler semi-tractor trailer with a 17-speed manual transmission
7 >> (plus air brakes that require months of training to manage/use) is
8 >> much more powerful than a Chevy Sonic hatchback when it comes to
9 >> hauling huge loads. But for someoneone who merely wants to zip out
10 >> to the supermarket and buy a week's groceries, the hatchback is
11 >> much more appropriate.
12 >>
13 >> Similarly, PulseAudio may be better at handling complex situations
14 >> like you describe. The yelling and screaming you're hearing are
15 >> from the 99% of people whose setups are not complex enough to
16 >> justify PulseAudio. Making 100% of setups more complex in order to
17 >> handle the 1% of edge cases is simply wrong.
18 >
19 > The "complexity" overhead of pulseaudio is vaaastly overstated here.
20 >
21 > Yes, as a general principle, adding unneeded complexity is bad. But
22 > that takes into account general ideas on the relative tradeoffs of
23 > having it there or not. But listen to the happy PA users here who
24 > don't feel any problem with their setup. The complexity doesn't bite
25 > them.
26
27 That is not a good argument. If it were that easy, then why not just
28 install everything -- or even simply untar all software -- at once?
29 People say that HDDs are big now. And that would do for 99% users,
30 wouldn't it? Instead, you're still messing with all that package
31 managing stuff...
32
33 As for the complexity of PA, one must distinguish the PA architecture
34 complexity, its installation complexity and the complexity of managing
35 this stuff for the user (not mentioning usage complexity which is
36 probably negligible).
37
38 I wouldn't care for the architecture complexity (although I assume it to
39 be too complex) but what I do care about is its bad manageability.
40 If it were to install just a package, or just remove one package, then
41 everyone would be satisfied, including those who need the functionality.
42 But apparently it isn't so; either all audio software is to use PA, or
43 none at all.
44
45 > Analogy: 99% of people aren't going to need a11y. But the whole point
46 > of installing it by default on most desktop systems is that you can't
47 > predict who will need it, and _it does not harm_ (or very little
48 > harm) to the people who don't.
49 >
50 > So your tradeoffs are: A) no a11y unless elected by user: - for the
51 > 1%: a11y is a pain to install because the user might not even be able
52 > to see the screen (very big pain) - for the 99% use a few megabytes
53 > less on their disk. (very small gain)
54 >
55 > B) a11y for everyone unless elected removed: - for the 1%: they can
56 > use the system properly (no pain) - for the 99%: use a few megabytes
57 > more on their disk (very small pain)
58
59 > Obviously (B) is a better default choice. Ditto pulseaudio.
60
61 Well if PA is that great then why really not do like you suggest?
62 Probably, the problem is not "a few megabytes more on their disk" but
63 that PA is just not a good alternative?
64
65 And eventually is there a real big unsolvable problem for one to
66 *install* PA when he needs? Does one really end up with "black screen"
67 or another kinda PITA without PA? If not, then it's not a good analogy?
68
69 But as I feel it, the talk is about choice, not PA nor complexity. I
70 just *don't want* it. I probably don't see any harm with various
71 akonadis and nepomuks in KDE (actually, I did see much harm, but that's
72 another story) but I simply don't want'em. As a result (of all those
73 useless-for-me pieces of great code removed) I have Gentoo running KDE
74 times faster than e.g. OpenSUSE, but even without that, it's my choice
75 and if I don't perceive or measure these "times faster" I believe in
76 them. Why should I care that there is a 99% majority of users who say
77 that some stuff are harmless or they need them on their PCs, if *I*
78 don't need it on *my* PC? -- Here "I" means "one".
79 If free software is going to be really free, then it is not expected to
80 make assumptions about what I need or what 99% users need, nor to make
81 its use unavoidable. It is expected to provide a means to use it, as
82 well a means to not use it.
85 Best wishes,
86 Yuri K. Shatroff