From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Separate /usr
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 21:42:30
1 On Thu, 10 May 2007 11:34:46 +0100
2 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, 10 May 2007 12:11:34 +0200, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
5 >
6 > > > No idea, but I tried it when I encountered that page and portage
7 > > > operations were measurably faster.
8 > >
9 > > That might well be just the transfer effect: you went from an old
10 > > fragmented file system to a fresh unfragmented one.
11 >
12 > I allowed for that. I created a new filesystem for /usr/portage - I
13 > had been using a directory in /usr before.
16 Well, maybe it has to do with the efficiency of reading discontiguous
17 blocks from one file as opposed to a filesystem. Since it's a sparse
18 file, there might be a lot of 'space' that, if it were on an actual
19 disk, the heads would have to pass over; thus there may be a way in
20 which a sparse file is more efficient than a regular filesystem.
21
22 Remeber that the files in portage are, except for distfiles, quite
23 small. By my calculation, the average size for files and directories
24 under $PORTDIR (excluding $DISTDIR of course) is only 62 bytes. What
25 would you bet that on a disk partition, the other 962 to 4034 bytes per
26 block (I couldn't have block sizes less than 1K on reiser for my
27 portage, and 4096 is the default for most FS's) are filled with
28 nothing, and the heads need to pass over them to read the next block.
29 On a sparse file that space is merely reserved, it needn't actually
30 exist. Hope that helps you conceptualize the difference.
31 --
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list