From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Using KVM, what about clocks?
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 21:46:09
1 Maybe a bit OT, but otherwise close to gentoo as well (as we all
2 configure our kernels individually ....) (see ps below):
3
4 When I configure my gentoo-server for Linux KVM, how to get the
5 clock-issues right, in terms of correctness and performance?
6
7 I assume that I am not the only one scratching his head ... but maybe
8 some of us simply hesitate to ask ;-)
9
10 HPET, RTC, TSC, blah ...
11
12 A new server with a Xeon-CPU tells me:
13
14 "kvm: SMP vm created on host with unstable TSC; guest TSC will not be
15 reliable"
16
17 Ah, ok.
18
19 Is that bad? Could I do something? Should I?
20
21 My question is // questions are:
22
23 Are there any recommended kernel-config-settings for a performant and
24 non-drifting KVM-server?
25
26 Is there a "best practise"?
27
28 What is your experience, your recommendation?
29
30 Maybe it should find its way into the gentoo wiki :-)
31
32 Thanks in advance, Stefan
33
34 ps: yeah, I know, this should go to the linux-kvm-ml in an ideal world.
35 We all know that we would end up subscribed to dozens of mailing-lists
36 just to get our jobs done .... so pls be tolerant in terms of "what is
37 off-topic". thx.