From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Using "root=LABEL=xxxx" in grub.conf
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 16:53:18
1 On 9 Feb 2009, at 10:32, Michael Hampicke wrote:
2
3 >>>
4 >>> It would appear that you need an initrd/initramfs to use this.
5 >>>
6 >>
7 >> Ah! Many thanks. I will live without this shortcut, then, I think.
10 > If you, like me, prefere to compile your own kernel, there's still an
11 > easy way to create a initrd for your kernel: with genkernel
12 > I use this command to compile my pre-configured kernel
13 >
14 > genkernel --no-clean --no-mrproper \
15 > --makeopts=-j2 --loglevel=5 --install --symlink all
16 >
17 > To include support for disk labels use the switch --disklabel
21 I am resistant to the idea of using an initrd, because IIRC it's an
22 extra file that has to be stored in /boot, creating extra "clutter" in
23 there.
24
25 I'm kinda thinking that using the label prevents failed boots in the
26 event that the drives are recognised in a different order in the
27 future, but nevertheless I don't "like" initrd and the longer kernel
28 lines in grub.conf that they require.
29
30 I appreciate this is somewhat irrational.
31
32 Stroller.