From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I've got a pod of dolphins after start-up
Date: Sat, 01 May 2021 15:49:25
1 On 1/5/21 3:04 pm, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 1 May 2021 01:24:23 +0200, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
3 >
4 >> I also have experienced something like it. In my case it was Wireshark
5 >> coming up after I only launched it once. It is probably KDE’s session
6 >> management getting into your way. Unfortunately I haven’t found a place
7 >> where to configure the session. There’s probably a file in ~/.config or
8 >> ~/.local about that. As a quick remedy I switched to empty session on
9 >> startup (open system settings and look for session).
10 >
11 > Did you try adding Wireshark to the Don't restore these applications list
12 > in System Settings->Startup and Shutdown->Desktop Session?
16 Ha, the problem is back, dolphins everywhere. The problem seems to be,
17 for me at least, that when I close Dolphin after doing a bit of
18 file/folder stuff that the GUI shuts down but some zombie part remains.
19 Just now, when I fired the machine up, I had three instances of Dolphin
20 running. I closed all three, little red button top right hand corner and
21 did a:
22
23 ps -A | grep dolphin | wc -l
24
25 Sure enough 3 zombies. Open Dolphin, do some "stuff", close Dolphin, do
26 the "ps" command above and I' ve now got 4 zombies. Do this a couple of
27 more times and I now have 8 - 9 zombies.
28
29 Clean out ~/.config/session, ie it's now empty, and shut the machine
30 down. Restart machine and hey presto, 8 - 9 Dolphins up and running and
31 ~/.config/session contains 8 - 9 Dolphin "restart config", or whatever
32 they are called, files.
33
34 I think it is time to head over to some KDE forum and ask questions there.
35
36 Andrew