From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT - More Router Advice] Cheap Router with decent/reliable VLAN support
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 12:30:20
1 On Saturday 28 May 2011 13:10:09 Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > After seeing an older thread asking about a router, I figured I'd ask my
3 > own question...
4 >
5 > I'm looking for a cheap but reliable router that has decent and SIMPLE
6 > way to add VLANs (I'm not a CISCO guy and don't want to have to become
7 > one)...
8 >
9 > Specifically, I want to have one VLAN that my wireless access points are
10 > plugged into, to provide ONLY internet access, and then a separate VLAN
11 > for my internal network...
12 >
13 > This is to protect my internal net from any potentially infected
14 > machines that are on the wireless access points (I routinely work on
15 > infected computers for friends/family, so, I need internet access, but
16 > want them isolated from my internal network).
17 >
18 > Anyone? Will one of the FLOSS builds for the cheap Cable/DSL routers
19 > support VLANs on the different built-in router ports (ie, Tomato, DD-WRT
20 > or OpenWRT)?
21 >
22 > Looking forward to any suggestions/ideas...
23
24 so - why don't you get a router that ONLY does the routing and a nice good
25 switch where you can tag the vlans?
26
27 Because if someone takes over your router it does not matter that you have
28 different vlans, they can access everything.
29
30 But if the router is on a different vlan than the internal network, they have
31 to take over the switch - which will be in a vlan inaccessible from any active
32 device - to get into the other vlans.