From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Blocking certain sites the easy way ?
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 05:37:02
1 On Thursday 28 May 2015 06:11:08 Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > With wireshark I found, that firefox accesses sites on startup, from
5 > which I dont know, for what reason this access is needed or whether
6 > the NSA, CIA, FBI, BDN, MOSSAD (fill in what organisation you ever
7 > suspect to do such things) has invaded my PC.
8
9 It may none of the above, but FF and any addons checking what the latest
10 version is of themselves, as well as the Google search on the default hope
11 page doing a DNS query or some such.
14 > I want to block such accesses for two reasons: First is ...hmmm...
15 > to block that accesses...second is to find out what will not work
16 > than.
17 >
18 > I dont want to install and configure a complete full blown firewalled
19 > SEL-Linux thingy here and I dont want to reboot my Linux box for every
20 > new site I added. I am looking for a simple solution, which I can use
21 > without studying the history of TCP/IP and others... ;)))
22 >
23 > What can I use for this purpose?
24
25 You could try an application layer filter[1], but I think it won't work
26 insofar the connections you observed are probably using ports and protocols
27 same as your day to day browsing activity. Therefore you will likely need to
28 use iptables to block individual domains or IP addresses and then regularly
29 add to the list when the servers your browser wants to contact change in that
30 amorphous and reconfiguring cloud out there.
31
32 You don't have to reboot your box when you change rules, but you'll need to
33 reload iptables.
36 [1] http://l7-filter.sourceforge.net/HOWTO-kernel
39 Regards,
40 Mick