From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] update problems
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 15:29:00
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On 19/09/2015 21:36, lee wrote:
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> how could I solve these updating problems:
9 >> emerge -j 8 -a --update --newuse --deep --with-bdeps=y @world
10 >>
11 >> * IMPORTANT: 4 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
12 >> * Use eselect news read to view new items.
15 >> These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
16 >>
17 >> Calculating dependencies... done!
18 >>
19 >> !!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
20 >> !!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:
21 >>
22 >> dev-libs/boost:0
23 >>
24 >> (dev-libs/boost-1.56.0-r1:0/1.56.0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
25 >> (no parents that aren't satisfied by other packages in this slot)
26 >>
27 >> (dev-libs/boost-1.55.0-r2:0/1.55.0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
28 >> dev-libs/boost:0/1.55.0= required by (dev-libs/librevenge-0.0.2:0/0::gentoo, installed)
29 >> ^^^^^^^^^^
30 >> (and 2 more with the same problem)
31 >
32 > I'm not sure why you are getting this one. Portage is only pulling in
33 > boost-1.56.0-r1 because it's the latest stable version, but librevenge
34 > requires something earlier. Portage should therefore shut up and install
35 > the only real solution - keep boost at 1.55.0
36
37 Maybe because it says that there's a slot conflict. I had another one
38 of those, and getting rid of it prevents me from having a pdf reader
39 installed. I haven't had the need to read a pdf since, but sooner or
40 later I'll need to be able to.
41
42 > Try these possibilities:
43 >
44 > emerge =dev-libs/boost-1.55.0-r2
45
46 Why this particular version; how did you figure that out? I read from
47 the second message that boost doesn't work with itself because
48 librevenge is installed. So I could remove librevenge, but a lot of
49 things depend on it, amongst them libreoffice.
50
51 From there, I don't know what the effects are. Now libreoffice is still
52 4.4.1.2, and I would expect it being upgraded to 5.x maybe. So I would
53 have to remove boost instead --- IIRC I installed it only to try out
54 regex_match() and regex_search() --- but removing boost seems a bit
55 unreasonable, considering that it takes a while to build. And even with
56 boost removed, I have no good reason to think that there won't be other
57 problems, and it leaves the question what to do when I need boost again:
58 I don't even have a pdf reader ...
59
60 So I decided I'd better ask what to do. It's hard to believe that we
61 are seriously expected to remove lots of software which we might not be
62 able to install again just to do an update. All these conflicts give me
63 the impression that something in the repo is broken and needs to be
64 fixed.
65
66 > emerge -avuND world
67 >
68 > or
69 >
70 > emerge -j 8 -a --update --newuse --deep --with-bdeps=n @world
71 >
72 > or quickpkg boost, then unmerge it and re-run emerge world.
73 > Boost is a pain to build so with a quickpkg you can put it back with a
74 > minimum of effort
75
76 Maybe next weekend or so, I don't feel like doing it now and don't
77 really have the time to.
78
79 >> dev-util/boost-build:0
80 >>
81 >> (dev-util/boost-build-1.55.0:0/0::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
82 >> =dev-util/boost-build-1.55* required by (dev-libs/boost-1.55.0-r2:0/1.55.0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
83 >> ^ ^^^^^
84 >>
85 >> (dev-util/boost-build-1.56.0:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
86 >> =dev-util/boost-build-1.56* required by (dev-libs/boost-1.56.0-r1:0/1.56.0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
87 >> ^ ^^^^^
88 >
89 > This is a consequence of boost.
90 > Fix the boost issue and this one goes away
91
92 I thought it might. It's yet another message telling me that boost
93 doesn't work with boost.
94
95 >> media-video/ffmpeg:0
96 >>
97 >> (media-video/ffmpeg-2.6.3:0/54.56.56::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
98 >> (no parents that aren't satisfied by other packages in this slot)
99 >>
100 >> (media-video/ffmpeg-2.2.14:0/52.55.55::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
101 >> media-video/ffmpeg:0/52.55.55=[vdpau] required by (media-libs/mlt-0.9.0:0/0::gentoo, installed)
102 >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^
103 >
104 > Similar to boost. try a similar approach
105
106 I tried 'emerge -j 8 -a --update --newuse --deep --with-bdeps=y ffmpeg'
107 to upgrade ffmpeg only because it seemed to be smallest problem. But
108 no, that requires quite a lot of packages and gives me a lengthy list
109 which looks like some kind of dependency hell. So that was a no-go,
110 too.
111
112 Sure, I could also remove ffmpeg, but how do I know that I can reinstall
113 it after upgrading?
114
115 >> !!! The ebuild selected to satisfy "sci-libs/hdf5" has unmet requirements.
116 >> - sci-libs/hdf5-1.8.14-r1::gentoo USE="cxx fortran threads zlib -debug -examples -fortran2003 -mpi -static-libs -szip"
117 >>
118 >> The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
119 >> threads? ( !cxx !fortran )
120 >
121 > Come on, the problem is as clear as daylight and stated right there in
122 > the output:
123 >
124 > If you have threads in USE for hdf5, then you cannot have cxx and/or
125 > fortran also in USE for hdf5
126 >
127 > echo "=sci-libs/hdf5-1.8.14-r1 -cxx -fortran" >>
128 > /etc/portage/package.use/package.use
129
130 I gathered that much, but I didn't feel like trying to find out whether
131 it's better to disable threads or cxx and fortran because of the other
132 problems. hdf5 was pulled in because of dependencies and not because I
133 installed it, so I didn't check its USE flags to begin with.
134
135 >> I could remove boost (and maybe reinstall it later), but I would like to
136 >> keep ffmpeg. hdf5 apparently goes back to having blender installed,
137 >> which I would also like to keep. And apparently, I would have to remove
138 >> libreoffice before I could update.
139 >
140 > What does libreoffice have to do with this?
141
142 It depends on librevenge.
143
144 >> Why can't we just update like we can with any other distribution but
145 >> have to run into dependency problems all the time instead?
146 >
147 > You fail to understand how gentoo works. At no time did Gentoo ever
148 > guarantee that updates would work like binary distros and the process
149 > would be trouble free. Quite the opposite - Gentoo is upfront in telling
150 > you that there will always be update issues and you are the person to
151 > solve them.
152
153 It never told me that.
154
155 > This is because of how Gentoo works. With a binary distro, there is only
156 > one variant of a package. If package A depends on ldap, and cifs, and
157 > kerberos and nfs, and you don't want any of those then that is tough
158 > shit because you are going to get them. And you are going to get them
159 > because the package maintainer said you are going to get them.
160
161 That's one of the things that bothers me with binary distributions.
162
163 > Gentoo gives you the choice, and sometimes your choices interfere with
164 > other choices you make. Now you get to decide.
165 >
166 > Binary distros run into the same problems as above, and the package
167 > maintainer has to solve them. When that is done, the package gets pushed
168 > out and you don't see what it took. You also don't have any choice.
169 >
170 > In Gentoo, YOU have the role that a maintainer has on Fedora, YOU get to
171 > find out how to solve the problem and YOU get to implement it. That is
172 > the inevitable side-effect of having choice.
173
174 Where and how do the above messages give me choices? They are telling
175 me that boost doesn't work with itself, that I cannot upgrade ffmpeg and
176 that I need to dis- or enable USE flags I've never touched. I can make
177 a wild guess that removing boost and ffmpeg /might/ solve the problem,
178 and from my experience with the pdf reader, I can only assume that
179 chances that I cannot reinstall either after upgrading are pretty good.
180 My conclusion is that something in the repos might be broken because if
181 it wasn't, I wouldn't have these problems.
182
183 So my choices are to try to somehow force an upgrade and be left with a
184 non-working system, or to wait until the problems are fixed, or to ask
185 for help.
186
187 Asking for help turns out that I don't really have a choice because I
188 can either try to somehow force an upgrade and take the risk of being
189 left with a non-working system (because Gentoo gives me choices: perhaps
190 you can see the irony here), or not upgrade at all.
191
192 >> What do I do when I need to update /right now/ and find myself being
193 >> blocked with cryptic messages like the above that leave me stranded?
194 >> Once I used 'emerge --sync', there is no way to turn it back to continue
195 >> to be able to install software if needed when the update cannot be
196 >> performed. Updates simply need to work, there's no way around that.
197 >
198 > You seem unwilling to do what it takes to run Gentoo properly. I suggest
199 > you delete your Gentoo systems and install Fedora instead. Gentoo is
200 > obviously not for you.
201
202 That is a really wild assumption you're making, to put it nicely.
203
204 Besides, IMO Fedora is run by stupid fascists who believe they can
205 dictate people what to think and take over the world --- which is
206 something I don't want to have anything to do with --- and I don't want
207 systemd, either, which appears to come along remarkably similar lines.
208 You'd have to suggest a better alternative, one that is better than
209 Gentoo.
210
211 Other than that, can't you imagine that there might be room for
212 improvement? Like a way to undo an 'emerge --sync' and messages that
213 are more informative, or providing the user with actual choices that
214 would solve the problem and let them decide which solution they want
215 (think of aptitude, which Debian has)?
216
217 Or would you rather say that Gentoo seems unwilling to do what it takes
218 to make it easier to upgrade? Yeah, I know, developer resources are
219 limited, but so are mine.
223 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
224 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.