From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev + /usr
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 16:23:03
1 On Sep 16, 2011 11:00 PM, "Dale" <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
4 >>
5 >> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 5:29 AM, Pandu Poluan<pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> Speaking of fsck, didn't someone lamented the fact that fsck can no
8 longer
9 >>>
10 >>> be statically linked, thus making initr* 'blew up' in size?
11 >>>
12 >>> When more and more utilities go the non-statically-linked way...
13 >>> congratulations! You now have an initr* that's practically a cpio-ized
14 >>> version of /
15 >>
16 >> Now, common: that's an exaggeration. My dracut generated initramfs
17 >> (with systemd, plymouth, udev, and I don't remember what many things
18 >> more) is 5 Mb. That's a little less than my several-gigabytes /.
19 >>
20 >> Regards.
23 > Give it time. Something will need /home on the root partition next. Like
24 someone else posted, we are headed towards windows land with this. I won't
25 be surprised if /boot will have to be on / next too.
28 Heh. If it's only limited to 'everything in /' it's still acceptable. MIGHTY
29 annoying, and most likely an admin hell, but workable.
30
31 Now, if everything needs to go into initr* (yes, I'm exaggerating, but...)
32 ...
33
34 Rgds,