From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Slighty confused about net connections
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 06:31:15
1 On 29/11/2014 08:14, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2
3 > After your email I read the output of dmesg more precisely ... and now
4 > knowing (due to your post :) what to look for and found that
5 > the detection of another usb-ethernet-device attached to my PC created
6 > another usb<n> (first: usb0, second: usb1).
7 >
8 > I put the first Arietta into the net 192.168.10.x and the second
9 > Arietta into net 192.168.11.x and do two different ifconfig for usb0
10 > and the other one for usb1 and TADA! - I could ssh into both!
11 >
12 > This is not THAT elegant (wasting a complete subnet), but it proofes,
13 > that both boards are /relly/ ok...
16 In truth you are not wasting a complete subnet (whatever that is), you
17 have merely specified a range 256 times larger than what you want to have.
18
19 In networking you are not limited to ranges that end on an octet
20 boundary (we got rid of *that* limitation 10+ years ago). Instead just
21 do this:
22
23 board #1: 192.168.0.100/32
24 board #2: 192.168.0.101/32
25
26 Now you have specified "subnet" that are each exactly one ip address
27 wide. All modern software know what to do with this.
28
29 Adapt the addresses to your own network design and you should be good to go.
34 Alan
38 Alan McKinnon
39 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com