From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] K3b complains about my locale (SOLVED)
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 13:23:39
1 On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 6:45 PM, b.n. <brullonulla@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Kevin O'Gorman ha scritto:
4 >
5 >> TOP POSTED SUMMARY: operator error. An incorrect setting of LANG and
6 >> LC_ALL were in /etc/profile.
7 >> They had been suggested by the guide, but were incorrectly done and
8 >> override the results of all the
9 >> 02locale and locale.gen things.
10 >>
11 >> Now one X restart later, k3b and perl and I are all happy.
12 >>
13 >> Thanks for suggesting a re-reading, Daniel.
16 > Could you please provide the solution? I have the same problem and the
17 > thread is all but clear to me.
20 > In my case, the solution was to remove the (incorrect) LANG and LC_ALL
21 assignments I had edited into
22 /etc/profile. The 02locale and locale.gen files did the job correctly.
23
24 I tracked this down by putting a lot of debugging stuff in the various shell
25 startup files. They looked like this:
26 [ -e /etc/conf.d/D ] && echo This is /etc/profile\; LANG is $LANG\; LC_ALL
27 is $LC_ALL
28 ...
29 [ -e /etc/conf.d/D ] && echo End of /etc/profile\; LANG is $LANG\; LC_ALL is
30 $LC_ALL
31
32 And I can switch them on and off by creating/rm-ing /etc/conf.d/D. This
33 showed me where the variables
34 were getting values, and what the values were. By the time I was done, I
35 had them in
36 ~/.bashrc
37 ~/.mybashrc (you may or may not have this file)
38 ~/.bash_profile
39 /etc/profile
40 /etc/bash/bashrc
41
42 They are still there, but inactive since I have deleted /etc/conf.d/D (a
43 file of my own creation). If you don't use
44 bash, you'll have to design your own variant of this approach.
45
46 ++ kevin
49 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD