From: Jason Lynch <jason@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Idle Process Scheduling
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 05:50:26
1 I'm having a strange problem on my Q6600 that cropped up starting with
2 the 2.6.29 series of the kernel, and is still present in 2.6.30.
3
4 Essentially, at all times, I have four nice 19 processes running, which
5 for the sake of this post, we'll call "dnetc". All four cores are
6 utilized. At this point, if I start another CPU-bound process that isn't
7 niced, it begins to take up an entire core. This is expected. What isn't
8 expected, however, is that another core begins idling inexplicably. As a
9 result, despite 5 processes currently available to run, only 3 are
10 actually running at any given time (the non-niced process, and two
11 instances of dnetc).
12
13 I have no idea where to begin diagnosing this, so if anyone has any
14 pointers or knows anything, I'd like to hear about it. I've done numerous
15 searches of mailing lists, bug trackers, etc., but haven't found
16 anything. Maybe I just can't find the right keywords.