From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Cannot compile texinfo: Illegal instruction -> Wrong -march and -mtune flags?
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 19:46:26
1 · Jan Seeger <jan.seeger@×××××.com>:
2
3 > I'd think that using -march overrides -mtune. You cannot at the same time tune
4 > for two architectures.
5
6 Hm, what's an "architecture"? From my understanding, I'd need crossdev
7 if I'd try to compile for, lets say, PA-RISC on a x86 system. But that's
8 not what I'm trying to do - I'm trying to compile for x86 on a x86
9 system.
10
11 Indeed, I think that I just have mixed up -march and -mtune (aka. -mcpu).
12 The GCC 3.4.6 docs have it quite clear:
13
14 ,----[ http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.3.6/gcc/i386-and-x86_002d64-Options.html#i386-and-x86_002d64-Options ]
15 | -mcpu=cpu-type
16 | [...]
17 | While picking a specific cpu-type will schedule things appropriately
18 | for that particular chip, the compiler will not generate any code that
19 | does not run on the i386 without the -march=cpu-type option being used.
20 `----
21
22 That's for -mcpu, which is, in 4.x, a deprecated synonym for -mtune.
23
24 Well, I'll just give it a try.
25
26 Alexander Skwar
27 --
28 Another dream that failed. There's nothing sadder.
29 -- Kirk, "This side of Paradise", stardate 3417.3
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list