From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Need dovecot configuration help
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 19:48:14
1 * Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@×××××.com> [110526 14:40]:
2 > A couple of days ago I applied via etc-update a new init script and conf
3 > file for dovecot. Now I cannot get local LAN mail from it. I was
4 > previously able to. My current dovecot version info is:
5 >
6 > carter ~ # emerge -pv dovecot
7 >
8 > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
9 >
10 > Calculating dependencies... done!
11 > [ebuild R ] net-mail/dovecot-2.0.11 USE="berkdb bzip2 doc ipv6 ldap
12 > maildir mysql pam ssl zlib -caps -cydir -kerberos -managesieve -mbox
13 > -mdbox -postgres -sdbox -sieve -sqlite -suid -vpopmail" 0 kB
14 >
15 > Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
16 >
17 > * IMPORTANT: 3 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
18 > * Use eselect news to read news items.
19 >
20 > The /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf file is as such:
21 [..]
22 > #listen = *, ::
23
24 What's the exact problem you're having? No response? Error response
25 from dovecot?
26
27 Do you see dovecot listening?
28
29 Do a 'netstat -a -t | egrep imap' and see if there's any output.
30
31 If it's not listening on *:imap (say on 127.0.0.1:imap for example)
32 then you probably want the 'listen = *' in your config file.
33
34 Is dovecot complaining in the logs?
35
36 When you emerge a new dovecot you need to restart it
37 (/etc/init.d/dovecot restart) or else you'll get errors with the
38 client/server communication as well.
39
40 Todd