From: nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt (Nuno J. Silva)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] codec for video embedded in presentation
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2013 22:11:16
1 On 2012-12-31, Francisco Ares wrote:
2
3 > 2012/12/30 Nuno J. Silva <nunojsilva@×××××××.pt>
4 >
5 >> On 2012-12-30, Francisco Ares wrote:
6 [...]
7 >> Keep in mind that the support for videos in powerpoint presentations
8 >> will vary greatly across different powerpoint versions, windows versions
9 >> and even across different installs of the same versions. Even if you
10 >> manage to get a version of powerpoint to "like" the container and
11 >> codecs, it may not work on all computers.
12 >>
13 >> The AVI container has been used by windows for a long time, so I'd say
14 >> chances are that it will work on more systems, but I can't say for sure.
17 > Thanks for the advice. I know that, have already been caught in that
18 > pitfall. That is why I always carry a free viewer of the same version as
19 > the one I build the presentation (sigh!!), a bunch of video codecs (K-Lite)
20 > and, in case everything fails, a portable VLC.
21 >
22 > If my colleagues would at least be kind enough to have OpenOffice installed
23 > on their machines also...
24
25 Perhaps a portable version of OpenOffice/LibreOffice? There used to be
26 one from PortableApps.com(?), it will be big, heavy, but should at least
27 work. But I don't know whether it offers universal support for some
28 specific codec. If it relies on Video For Windows, then it will be as
29 good as PowerPoint.
32 Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
33 http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/