From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Seek advice: converting Sabayon to Gentoo ?
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 23:03:12
1 On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 08:50:15 +1000, Alan E. Davis wrote:
2
3 > I didn't say anything about my hardware. The main hiccough, installing
4 > gentoo, has been the ath5k module, which was at one time, I think,
5 > ath_pci. Newer kernels may support this out of the box, in a gentoo
6 > install. Beside that, dual monitors are working with the nvidia
7 > drivers.
8
9 Ath5k works reasonably well, I've bee using it on this Eee Pc for a while.
10
11 > Another problem, a MAJOR problem, has been a recent marriage of pata and
12 > sata drives, all as scsi, /dev/sdX. With Gentoo, say a year or so ago,
13 > I had no problem with mixing four drives, two sata and two pata. Ubuntu
14 > wasn't able to differentiate, and even on a recent install I was forced
15 > to edit grub.conf (or grub.lst) before the system could boot off the
16 > right drive. Former /dev/hda became /dev/sda1, and former /dev/sda1 was
17 > recognized as /dev/sda2 or /dev/sda3. UUID numbers were confusing and I
18 > then blamed Ubuntu for moving ahead too quickly. I lost a bunch of
19 > archived material due to that issue. More recently, I see that Sabayon
20 > is also using UUID numbers in fstab. Still, I am now reluctant every
21 > time I try to upgrade or install.
22
23 UUIDs are good for automated installers as they provide a level of
24 independence of device numbers. For manual install like Gentoo, you are
25 better off using filesystem labels. You can make sure they are unique and
26 they make fstab a lot easier to read.
30 Neil Bothwick
31
32 Borg -- James Borg -- licensed to assimilate.