From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tips for fresh install with GRUB2+RAID1+LVM2
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 14:44:42
1 On Tuesday 19 May 2015 08:54:26 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 6:13 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > > On Tue, 19 May 2015 10:02:38 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > >> > skip mdadm and lvm ... and try btrfs as you have the chance on shiny
5 > >> > new hardware
6 > >>
7 > >> I also have a spare external hard disk, which I could experiment with
8 > >> for snapshots etc.
9 > >
10 > > Snapshots are subvolumes in btrfs, so they stay in the same filesystem.
11 > > That's why they are so fast.
12 > >
13 > > It's a similar situation with ZFS.
14 >
15 > Yup. In both cases they're copy-on-write, so they don't consume
16 > additional space except to the extent that things change.
17 >
18 > Also, in both cases you can serialize a snapshot (either in its
19 > entirety or as a diff vs a previous snapshot) and store it on separate
20 > storage. This is mainly done for backup (storing the serialized
21 > files) or replication (replaying them onto another server with the
22 > same filesystem).
23 >
24 > But, neither ZFS nor btrfs are without issue on Linux, so I'd use care
25 > in a production environment. The btrfs issues tend to revolve around
26 > stability, and the zfs issues tend to revolve around dealing with
27 > out-of-mainline code and legal/license issues.
28
29 Well, this is my toy desktop, so no risk to fame and fortune there. By /toy/,
30 of course, I mean I play with it, not that it's a Mickey-Mouse setup (which
31 some of you pros out there might think it is anyway, but that's another
32 story).
33
34 Some people will remember that I had a fling with f2fs on my little Atom LAN
35 server some months ago; I don't think I'll be using that this time!
36
37 Incidentally, what's the received wisdom on frequency of file-system trimming
38 on SSDs these days? I've seen values quoted between twice a day and once a
39 week. And how does trimming affect btrfs?
40
41 Hmm. Looks like I'm hijacking Nuno's thread. Apologies if that's ruffled any
42 feathers, but I think I'm still on-topic, more or less, and he may still be
43 interested in the conversation.
44
45 -
46 Rgds