From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT Best way to compress files with digits
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 17:56:43
1 On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 11:59 AM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2 > I am currently checking the compression tools I know of for the
3 > best compression ration. But I will definitly miss those I dont
4 > know...
5 > And sometimes one can do magic with option and switches of that
6 > kind of tools I also dont know of.
7
8 I can't imagine that any tool will do much better than something like
9 lzo, gzip, xz, etc. You'll definitely benefit from compression though
10 - your text files full of digits are encoding 3.3 bits of information
11 in an 8-bit ascii character and even if the order of digits in pi can
12 be treated as purely random just about any compression algorithm is
13 going to get pretty close to that 3.3 bits per digit figure.
16 Rich