From: Simon <turner25@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] (SOLVED) Re: distcc trivial issue (i'm sure)
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 15:56:37
1 I have no idea what the problem was exactly, but I'm sure it was trivial. In
2 fact, I highly suspect it was just that I didn't restart distccd or something as
3 boring as that... I guess a good sleep + a good shower + a good coffee was what
4 I needed to get it working!
5
6 I tested several values of -j and all give pretty much the same results which is
7 about 15% acceleration (computers are 433MHz/128Mb(swaps-a-lot), 450MHz(512Mb)
8 and 700MHz(512Mb)). I don't think I should expect more acceleration, should I?
9
10 Anyway, thanks and now, let's update these ancient monsters!
11
12 Simon
13
14 Simon wrote:
15 > Hi,
16 > I've followed several docs about setting up distcc, one from the
17 > gentoo manuals and the other on distcc's website. I believe I
18 > understand the whole concept pretty well, but my problem is: only the
19 > first host compiles.
20 >
21 > I have 3 hosts, if I use nmap, it can detect the distcc port is open
22 > what version of distcc and gcc it's using. This proves it's running on
23 > all hosts. I have scp all distcc config files to all hosts, including
24 > make.conf (3 pcs are the same arch, etc). And of course option -j4
25 >
26 > If I run emerge on a pkg, I will see the log populating on the 3
27 > machines, there must be communication! After manipulating DISTCC_DIR, I
28 > got distccmon-gui to work.
29 >
30 > The monitor will show at the begining that "localhost" is compiling a
31 > small file during the ./configure. Then when compilation kicks in,
32 > "localhost" stops working completely and "192.168.96.64"(ip of localhost
33 > on lan) starts working steadily. IP:*.64 is the first host in
34 > /etc/distcc/hosts.
35 >
36 > I have set the logs to debug level, which i believe is the level that
37 > will show ALL information (right?). I have read through that log during
38 > a compilation, specially at the start, and found absolutely no mention
39 > of the IP of any other hosts, nothing talking about connection issues or
40 > similar.
41 >
42 > I'm stuck here, I don't know what I'm looking for and help would be
43 > greatly appreciated!
44 >
45 > Thanks,
46 > Simon