From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kde-apps/kde-l10n-16.04.3:5/5::gentoo conflicting with kde-apps/kdepim-l10n-15.12.3:5/5::gentoo
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2016 13:05:22
1 On 08/09/2016 07:42 AM, Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Monday, August 08, 2016 10:45:09 PM Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> On 08/08/2016 19:20, Michael Mol wrote:
4 >>> On Monday, August 08, 2016 06:52:15 PM Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >>>> On 08/08/2016 17:02, Michael Mol wrote:
6
7 >>> snip <<<
8 >> KMail is the lost child of KDE for many months now, I reckon this
9 >> situation is just going to get worse and worse. I know for myself my
10 >> mail problems ceased the day I dumped KMail4 for claws and/or thunderbird
11 >
12 > That's really, really sad.
13 >
14 > I used Thunderbird for years, but I eventually had to stop when it would,
15 > averaging once a month (though sometimes not for a couple months, sometimes a
16 > couple times a week) explode in memory consumption and drive the entire system
17 > unresponsively into swap.
18 >
19 > I've tried claws from time to time due to other annoyances with Thunderbird,
20 > but I kept switching back. Not because I liked Tbird, but (IIRC) because of
21 > stability issues I had with claws.
22 >
23 > Even with the bugs it has, Kontact and Akonadi has been the most reliable mail
24 > client I've used in the last year. When it gives me problems, I know why, and
25 > I can address it. (Running a heavily tuned MySQLd instance behind Akonadi, for
26 > example...)
27 >
28 > I wish someone would pay me to fix this stuff; I'd be able to spend the time on
29 > it.
30
31 Perhaps an experiment. Locate some folks that know about how to promote
32 'crowd funding'. The propose a project like this, targeted at business
33 and user, to all pitch in. In fact, quite a few beloved open source
34 projects could benefit, if the idea of crowd funding took hold
35 on open source soft. Perhaps one of the foundations deeply involved in
36 the open source movement would get behind the idea?
37
38 KDE is very popular, so the concept or something similar might just have
39 legs, even if it only funds a series of grad-students or young
40 programmers to maintain good FOSS projects?
41
42 AS a side note, I put 32G of ram on my system and still at times it is
43 laggy with little processor load and htop shows little <30% ram usage.
44 What tools do you use to track down mem. management issues?
45
46 Any specific kernel tweaks?
49 hth,
50 James