From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] He's baaaaaack!
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 00:44:24
1 Hello everybody,
2
3 You may recall my tussle with an Sempron/Asus K8N-e
4 box: first it wouldn't boot but I fixed that and then
5 the entire unit died.
6
7 The tech at Asus suggested I *reverse* the CMOS
8 battery for a few seconds. I was skeptical but it
9 seems to have done the trick.
10
11 However LBA remains 'off' for my Maxtor120G HD in the
12 POST even though it's listed as LBA-capable in the
13 BIOS and LBA is also set to 'auto' in the BIOS.
14
15 Also gentoo boots but not WinXP.
16
17 To recap: I moved all my boot stuff to a 200M HD,
18 mounted as Pri-Master. The Maxtor 120G(Pri-Slave) was
19 split nearly in two with WinXP on the first half,
20 gentoo on the 2nd.
21
22 When I try to boot WinXP I get:
23
24 rootnoverify (hd1,0)#2nd drive,first partition,right?
25 makeactive
26 chainloader +1
27
28 then the cursor advances a couple of lines and just
29 sits there blinking.
30
31 Does WinXP absolutely have to be the first partition
32 on the first drive? What if I made the 200M the slave
33 and re-did grub, could I still boot from it.
34
35 -mw
40 Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page
41 http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list