From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Weird graphical glitches after world update
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 21:39:06
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 21/11/2013 17:10, Mateusz Kowalczyk wrote:
3 >> Greetings,
4 >>
5 >> I spent a chunk of yesterday updating world on my machines (2 file
6 >> servers and 1 netbook) and with some effort, the updates went through. I
7 >> had to go out today so I rebooted my netbook and I started noticing
8 >> weird graphical glitches in certain applications, as if parts of the
9 >> screen weren't updating, namely in urxvt and emacs. In urxvt, my shell
10 >> prompt seems to not render the cursor and often keeps the letters I
11 >> remove still on the prompt (only graphically, they aren't actually
12 >> there). This is extremely annoying.
13 >>
14 >> It's also terrible in emacs: cursor sometimes doesn't get rendered and I
15 >> get tons of artefacts from different buffers when I switch or from text
16 >> I was editing. You can find an example image of such glitches in emacs
17 >> at [1]. This is absolutely tragic for me as I spend majority of my time
18 >> in emacs. I'd like to note that I'm running emacs in a graphical frame
19 >> and not in a terminal.
20 >
21 > A quick note to say that you are not alone, I get this as well since
22 > about 6 weeks ago (a ~amd system). So it's not something you and just
23 > you managed to do, I got it as well.
24 >
25 > In my case it's as if the system's idea of what is on the screen is off
26 > by one row of pixels. I get a stray row of dots at the top of lines that
27 > correspond to the risers of glyphs on the previous line, and new
28 > underscores don't show up until I enter a newline.
29 >
30 > This is a mostly KDE system using konsole, so it's not the terminal
31 > emulator or editor that's the root cause.
34 Some may recall I have posted about similar issues in the past. Heck, I
35 still do when I upgrade the drivers. I'm stuck using a older driver but
36 still run into the issue every once in a while.
37
38 The biggest giveaway for me is that my clock is stuck. I have mine set
39 to show seconds and it either stops or the time sort of jumps several
40 seconds at a time.
41
42 It's weird but as Alan said, it is not just you. You got plenty of
43 company on this one.
44
45 Dale
46
50 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!