From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: MBR & GPT dual compliant format
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 13:54:46
1 On 26 July 2016 10:29:08 CEST, Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 2:56 AM, Artur Zych <artur.zych@×××××.com>
3 > wrote:
4 > >
5 > > If you're using GPT disk and want to use uefi then you can just
6 > create
7 > > one efi partition (should be around 200-500mb (depends if you're
8 > > planning on using multiple systems on the same disk) - this will
9 > hold
10 > > .efi files for all your systems as well as the bootloader.
11 > >
12 > > I you're using GTP but want to stick to MBR, then you create 1MB
13 > > partition to hold the boot loader, then /boot and the rest.
14 > >
15 > > About the 100MB EFI-partition: it's a Microsoft recommendation:
16 > > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EFI_System_Partition, read the
17 > > "create the partition" section.
18 >
19 > Please bottom-post.
20 >
21 > The OP wants a partition scheme for both "standard" and efi firmware,
22 > so he wants an EF02 (gdisk name) of 1MB and an EF00 (also gdisk name).
23 >
24 > The OP wanted the EF02 to be mounted as "/boot" so it has to be larger
25 > than 100MB in order to accomodate multiple kernels (and possibly
26 > initramfs "thingies" as they're sometimes called here).
27
28 It's the ESP (EF00) that can be used as /boot, EF02 is a special partition that should exist but not be used.
29 --
30 Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.