From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing Gentoo with a true Hardware RAID Controller ...
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 05:57:52
1 On Tuesday 03 October 2006 22:57, "Christopher Koeber" <ckoeber@×××××.com>
2 wrote about '[gentoo-user] Installing Gentoo with a true Hardware RAID
3 Controller ...':
4 > 3. If this is not possible, is there a way where I can do a no
5 > nonsense installation of Gentoo on RAM so that I can compile the
6 > kernel drivers myself?
7
8 2G should be enough to compile a kernel module, shouldn't it? ;)
9
10 Yeah, I've sometimes needed to do this to get access to my RAID arrays
11 attached to an areca 1160. Once you get a prompt in the livecd
12 environment, you'll already be on a ramdisk. Extract a stage3 somewhere,
13 copy over your resolv.conf, and chroot. Install gentoo-sources,
14 ungzip /proc/config.gz as your .config, and make modules_prepare. Now,
15 you should be able to build your out-of-tree module so that it will work
16 with your currently running kernel.
17
18 If you have problems, try updating system before installing
19 gentoo-sources -- once you have access to the drives you are actually
20 going to install on, you can always copy the updated stage3 to the disks
21 instead of extracting a new one and working from scratch again.
24 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
25 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
26 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
27 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh