From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Blank screen when starting or stopping X server
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:59:16
1 On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 09:28:50PM -0400, Penguin Lover Simon Hunt squawked:
2 > Sometimes when I start or stop the X server, for instance at boot when GDM
3 > loads, or when I logout of Gnome and GDM is restarted, the screen goes blank,
4 > and the monitor shows an orange light as if it were disconnected from the computer.
5 > The computer is still on, but I think it is frozen, because I can't use ssh
6 > to access it. I've diffed the Xorg logs from a normal server and a frozen server
7 > and they are the same besides dates and other trivial lines, unless perhaps
8 > the frozen server doesn't even write to a log. If you think I should try that
9 > again, tell me. I could have done something wrong.
10
11 How about the system/kernel logs?
12
13 Have you built a video driver against a "wrong" kernel?
14
15 W
18 "Do you all understand? At this point I'll settle for quiet acquiescence."
19 ~DeathMech, S. Sondhi. P-town PHY 205
20 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 991 days, 15:48