From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: guvcview update produces an executable with missing lib...
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 23:29:46
1 Am Mon, 29 Aug 2016 12:05:51 -0700
2 schrieb Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>:
3
4 > On 08/29/2016 11:11 AM, waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
5 > > On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 06:29:50PM +0200, Meino.Cramer@×××.de
6 > > wrote
7 > >> Hi,
8 > >>
9 > >> after updateing my system, beside others guvcview was updated:
10 > >>
11 > >> from qlop
12 > >> Mon Aug 29 17:44:08 2016 >>> media-video/guvcview-2.0.4
13 > >>
14 > >> After ldconfig as root and rehash (zsh) as user I got:
15 > >>
16 > [...]
17 > >> guvcview: error while loading shared libraries:
18 > >> libgviewv4l2core-1.0.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such
19 > >> file or directory [1] 23848 exit 127 guvcview
20 > >>
21 > >>
22 > >> ...hmmmm.
23 > >>
24 > >> What did I wrong?
25 > >>
26 > >> Best regards,
27 > >> mcc
28 > >
29 > > The first suggestion in a case like this is to run
30 > > revdep-rebuild. As a matter of fact, it probably wouldn't hurt to
31 > > run revdep-rebuild after every update.
34 > Yes, I do. Portage occasionally misses a rebuild. It's a lot better
35 > now at catching them but it still misses them.
36
37 I think this mainly happens for very old packages not built in a long
38 time. The install database simply misses the relevant info. Rebuilding
39 the package should catch up on this.
40
41 I usually see this on old packages installed but not updated for a long
42 time. "emerge @preserved-rebuild" usually doesn't see them,
43 revdep-rebuild most of the time sees them but may miss packages which
44 @preserved-rebuild sees (because revdep-rebuild does only detect
45 missing binary deps but cannot identify orphaned libs which are still
46 there but should be removed). And some simply need to rebuild once to
47 migrate to new installation meta data.
48
49 Packages caught in such a way are from then on usually seen by
50 @preserved-rebuild.
51
52 I'm using only "emerge @preserved-rebuild" in a long time now, without
53 falling back to revdep-rebuild. The latter is quite obsolete to me.
56 Regards,
57 Kai
58
59 Replies to list-only preferred.