From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How do you make a gentoo system confirm to a release?
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 11:03:54
1 On Tuesday 19 December 2006 11:38, Christian Nygaard wrote:
2 > If you have a Gentoo system with a specific release point for e.g.
3 > 2006.0and you would like to live upgrade it so it confirms to a 2006.1
4 > profile is that possible?
5
6 You just change the profile. The differences in the profiles between releases
7 or very minor.
8
9 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-upgrading.xml
10
11 > To be specific I would like if possible to have a live upgrade to stage3
12 > but with using i586 compile instead of i686. I could rm -rf /var/db and then
13 > reemerge world, is there a better way of doing it?
14
15 It's quite unclear to be what you think you would achieve by removing the vdb
16 (/var/db/pkg - database of installed packages with information about which
17 files belongs to which package...).
18
19 What you would achieve though is a system where portage thinks nothing is
20 installed and hence you would have to be quite lucky to avoid orphans after
21 the reinstalling everything in the world file (which happens to be outside
22 the vdb). Seems pretty pointless to me..
23
24 Did you just want an upgraded system? In that case all you needed was:
25
26 # emerge -uvDa world
27
28 Or if you wanted to recompile everything you would just need
29 emerge --emptytree...
30
31 The vdb is the single most important part of any Gentoo system meaning that if
32 it gets removed you have to reinstall (at least to avoid orphans). The
33 portage database (the tree), distfiles and pkgdir on the other hand can be
34 easily regenerated. Even the world file can be regenerated if emerge.log is
35 intact...
36
37 > I did get a block when doing an emerge world and the system
38 > is not a production one so some violence can be used.
39 [SNIP]
40
41 Mostly blockers are instated because you need to remove a package (namely the
42 blocker) before an upgrade can take place. Tell us what the blocker is if
43 you're unsure about what to unmerge...
46 Bo Andresen