From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] r8169 unable to apply firmware patch
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 17:56:07
1 >> >> so the question becomes why does eth0
2 >> >> appear under ifconfig on my laptop with net.eth0 stopped and the cable
3 >> >> unplugged?
4 >> >>
5 >> >> I thought it could be wicd on my laptop but I shut down the daemon
6 >> >> with no change.
7 >> >
8 >> > Try disabling the daemon from starting at boot 'rc-update delete wicd'
9 >> > and reboot, then see if the interface is up.
10 >>
11 >> You nailed it.  eth0 was being brought up on my laptop by wicd.
12 >> Thanks a lot.  Both systems have functioning NIC's now.
13 >
14 > Glad you got this sorted.
15 >
16 > Is there a conclusion if we should be planning to move away from x11-
17 > drivers/radeon-ucode, net-wireless/b43-fwcutter, et al and use sys-
18 > kernel/linux-firmware instead?
19 > --
20 > Regards,
21 > Mick
22
23 I'm not the right guy to make the call but I think the fact that the
24 r8169 firmware exists only in linux-firmware (as far as Portage
25 packages) says something.
26
27 - Grant