From: Alvin A ONeal Jr <coolaj86@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] BackupEXEC
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 11:33:33
1 Craig,
2
3 > I'm looking to use Veritas BackupEXEC 10 on several of my servers, and would like to know if anyone knows how to get a backup exec agent to work properly with gentoo. It seems a simple enough question, but I've found nothing useful through the documentation, and their support folks don't even know what Gentoo is...
4
5 I don't have experience with backup exec, but what package does it come
6 in? You could probably just install dpkg or rpm on gentoo and issue a
7 command to ignore dependencies when installing.
8
9 If the don't know what gentoo is (obviously they don't read eWeek or
10 other tech publications) tell them that you're using debian or redhat.
11 Things might be a little different, but there are plenty of people here
12 that could help you work through them.
16 But I do want to ask what the purpose of using backupExec instead of an
17 OpenSource solution? I know we have it at the school where I work for
18 Netware, but I've always thought it was pretty wasteful to pay ($500 per
19 seat, correct??) when you can write a cronjob that does the same thing.
20 Put an ncurses frontend on it and it would be even moreso.
21
22 For example, take a look at this script I use:
23 http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Backup_with_cron_and_tar_%28simple%29
24
25 It's setup to work with a mountable (attachable or network) drive, but
26 with a little modification it could work well for a tape drive too.
27
28 There are plenty of other methods as well.
32 8^)
33 Laterz-
34 ~Alvin
35 http://CoolAJ86.Havenite.net
36
37 ---
38 You're a geek person. You use Windows, which is complicated. [GNU/Linux]
39 is for people who jost want their darned computers to work. ~ Rob Greenlee

coolaj86.vcf text/x-vcard