From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Straight from the horse's mouth
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 10:01:43
1 On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 05:52:11 -0400
2 "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
5 > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2012-August/006066.html
8 So, what is it going to take to convince Lennart that, contrary to what
9 he thinks, he actually isn't the only human on the planet?
10
11 I'd like to hear GregKH's take on this
15 > ========================================================================
16 > Well, we intent to continue to make it possible to run udevd outside
17 > of systemd. But that's about it. We will not polish that, or add new
18 > features to that or anything.
19 >
20 > OTOH we do polish behaviour of udev when used *within* systemd
21 > however, and that's our primary focus.
22 >
23 > And what we will certainly not do is compromise the uniform
24 > integration into systemd for some cosmetic improvements for
25 > non-systemd systems.
26 >
27 > (Yes, udev on non-systemd systems is in our eyes a dead end, in case
28 > you haven't noticed it yet. I am looking forward to the day when we
29 > can drop that support entirely.)
30 >
31 > Lennart
32 >
33 > --
34 > Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.
36 >
37 > Plan B... toot... (blowing my own horn)
38 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev
39 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev/Automount_USB
45 Alan McKinnon
46 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com