From: Francesco Talamona <ti.liame@×××××.it>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] heads-up: udev-090 and "eth" devices naming - WAS: "Modules autoloading?"
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 20:58:54
1 First of all: thanks to Willie W. for spotting this issue. I was banging
2 my head against the wall since yesterday!
3
4 ------ Warning: -------
5 Upgrading udev to 090, don't accept the lines:
6
7 <quote>
8 # Module autoloading
9 # Autoload modules that lack aliases but have them defined in autoload
10 modules
11 SYSFS{modalias}=="?*", ACTION=="add", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe
12 $env{MODALIAS}"
13 # /etc/modprobe.conf.
14 SUBSYSTEM=="pnp", ENV{MODALIAS}!="?*", RUN+="/bin/sh -c 'while read id;
15 do /sbin/modprobe pnp:d$$id; done < /sys$devpath/id'"
16 # If you have problems with some pnp modules being loaded, please enter
17 the
18 # following aliases into the modprobe configuration files. These are
19 needed by
20 # udev to autoload some modules
21 # alias pnp:dPNP0510 irtty-sir
22 # alias pnp:dPNP0511 irtty-sir
23 # alias pnp:dPNP0700 floppy
24 # alias pnp:dPNP0800 pcspkr
25 # alias pnp:dPNP0b00 rtc
26 # alias pnp:dPNP0303 atkbd
27 # alias pnp:dPNP0f13 psmouse
28 # alias pnp:dPNPb02f analog
29 # Load firmware (not quite yet...)
30 # SUBSYSTEM=="firmware", ACTION=="add", RUN+="/lib/udev/firmware_helper"
31 </quote>
32
33 from the file /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules of udev-090
34 They will cause any sort of crappy behaviour!
35
36 If you accept them (as I did, alas!), the drivers of the network cards
37 are loaded in order of appearance during BIOS checkup routine
38 irrespective of any user settings, namely:
39
40 1) modules order in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.x
41
42 2) alias entry in /etc/modules.d/net (hence in /etc/modules.conf after
43 due modules-update).
44
45 In consequence of this snafu if you have more than one NIC (I had 4 last
46 night!) you are more or less sure no net services will start correctly
47 at following boot. I suspected an hardware failure (there was a storm
48 here, last night) and had any sort of doubts trying to swap back eth0
49 and eth1 to their original names without compiling one of the modules
50 into the kernel.
51
52 <rant>
53 All this stupid waste of time started when I decided to get rid of the
54 warning at bootup about '%e' being deprecated.
55 I wouldn't have upgraded udev!
56
57 Ok, "%e" will be set apart, but which is the new and right syntax, then?
58
59 Why a warning (a deprecation advice isn't an error) is showing up in
60 console as an error?
61
62 I'm really a bit disappointed about this udev issue.
63 IMHO silly choice, about the way of managing deprecation and about
64 default settings for modules automation.
65 </rant>
66
67 Hoping this will save someone else a bunch of nightmares...
68 Ciao
69 Francesco
70 --
71 Linux Version 2.6.16-gentoo-r4, Compiled #1 PREEMPT Wed Apr 26 06:59:58
73 One 1GHz AMD Athlon 64 Processor, 2GB RAM, 2007.31 Bogomips Total
74 aemaeth
75 --
76 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list