From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Wall is not working and wondering about upsmon too.
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:23:55
1 I had myself a funny a bit ago. I plugged in a heater and tripped a
2 breaker which made my UPS kick in for a minute. After getting that
3 corrected, turned off the heater, I noticed something strange. My UPS
4 kicked in but nothing came up on the screen. It used to be that wall
5 would broadcast a message to the screen. I got nothing. I check my
6 logs and it noticed that the UPS was on battery and it said it walled a
7 message. Is walled a word?
8
9 Anyway, I tested this theory by typing in "wall this is a test" in a
10 Konsole and nothing happened. Here is what my log says:
11
12 > Oct 23 06:06:21 smoker upsmon[9966]: Someone pulled the plug on ups@××××××.net
13 > Oct 23 06:06:21 smoker wall[18762]: wall: user nut broadcasted 1 lines (43 chars)
14 > Oct 23 06:08:11 smoker upsmon[9966]: UPS ups@××××××.net is getting line power
15 > Oct 23 06:08:11 smoker wall[20331]: wall: user nut broadcasted 1 lines (42 chars)
16 > Oct 23 06:09:25 smoker wall[22865]: wall: user root broadcasted 1 lines (6 chars)
17 > Oct 23 06:10:01 smoker cron[24078]: (root) CMD (test -x /usr/sbin/run-crons && /usr/sbin/run-crons )
20 Can someone shed some light on what happened to wall? This is strange.
21 Also, if someone has a CyberPower UPS and wouldn't mind, how about
22 sharing your configs? I'm just not real sure about my setup here.
23 Maybe wall is just throwing me a curve at the moment. I would like mine
24 to just turn off if power is lost longer than about 15 minutes or so
25 instead of running my batteries down.
26
27 Thanks for any light you can shed on this issue.
28
29 Dale
30
32
33 For those who noticed the change of email address, yup, I moved. I got
34 married, we got on each others nerves, I left, papers are in the works.
35 This means I have more time to spend on my rig now. I even got my old
36 addy back. LOL
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list