From: Matti Nykyri <matti.nykyri@×××.fi>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Laptop Overheat
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 12:46:53
1 > On Dec 17, 2014, at 12:56, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>> On 17/12/2014 11:03, Dale wrote:
5 >>> Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
6 >>>>> Am 17.12.2014 um 07:33 schrieb J. Roeleveld:
7 >>>>>
8 >>>>> Try cleaning the vents.
9 >>>>>
10 >>>>> Also, most couches have a tendency to compress when something like a laptop is
11 >>>>> on it. Effectively blocking all airflow.
12 >>>>>
13 >>>>> If the temperature goes to 99C when on top of a table, return the laptop to
14 >>>>> the shop as it is clearly not working properly.
15 >>>> When I compile bigger packages on my small ThinkPad X220 I sometimes put
16 >>>> it into the fridge ;-)
17 >>>>
18 >>>> This effectively cools it down rather quickly ... and I ssh in via wifi.
19 >>>>
20 >>>> Not to be tried at home ;-)
21 >>> You don't have a fridge at home? ROFL Sorry, I couldn't pass that one
22 >>> up. ;-)
23 >>>
24 >>> At one time, I thought about putting a rig that ran sorta warm in my
25 >>> freezer.
26 >>
27 >> So you trade heat damage for water damage?
30 >> Hmmmmm, I'd be thinking it's time for new computer that DoesCoolingRight(tm)
31 >
32 > It was a hand me down. Since everything in there is well below
33 > freezing, it shouldn't get water damage. Now when I take it out of the
34 > freezer, that could get interesting and cause the issue you are raising
35 > which is why I never did it either.
36
37 Because the temperature of the laptop in the freezer will always be above dew point it will never get wet. When you take it out though it's temperature will most likely be below dew point of the ambient air so water will condensate unless the access of water is blocked by a plastic bag for example.
40 -Matti