From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fragmentation of my drives. Curious mostly
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 02:57:57
1 Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
2 >>>> [...] what would be the best way to defrag it?
3 >>>>
4 >>> By not defragging it.
5 >>>
6 >>> It's not Windows. Windows boxes needs defragging not because fragmentation
7 >>> is a huge problem in itself, but because windows filesystems are a steaming
8 >>> mess of cr@p that do little right and most things wrong. Defrag treats the
9 >>> symptom, not the cause :-)
10 >>>
11 >> I don't buy into that argument and never did. Every few months I copy the
12 >> whole HD to another one and then back to counter fragmentation (ext3) and
13 >> the system becomes noticeably faster after doing it (speed increase in
14 >> emerge --sync for example.) Maybe it's not fragmentation but rather related
15 >> files being more closely together after I do this.
18 > How exactly do you copy the files? Be careful not to lose some file
19 > property. How about sparse files, for example?
20 > AFAIK, you can make a complete backup of a filesytem with (as root,
21 > running from another system - such as a liveCD)
22 > $ cd /path/to/mountpoint
23 > $ tar -cSv -f /path/to/tarball.tar .
24 >
25 > But I am not sure.
31 I use cp -av to copy mine. From what I have read it keeps permission,
32 links and everything. I have done it before and it worked fine but that
33 was before udev came along. Also, I do that booted from a CD, either
34 Knoppix or Gentoo CD.
35
36 I would think that since everything is wiped out in /dev/ when I
37 shutdown, at least that is how it is set anyway, that udev has to
38 recreate all the files in /dev/ during boot up. Of course, I have never
39 checked that to make sure.
40
41 Dale
42