From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE Plasma sound not working
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 11:20:08
1 On Friday, 17 June 2022 09:55:17 BST Michael wrote:
2 > On Friday, 17 June 2022 07:35:54 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > On Friday, 17 June 2022 02:28:26 BST Julien Roy wrote:
4 > > > It's really weird that a Firefox add-on would cause system-wide sound to
5 > > > stop working!
6 > >
7 > > Well, it may not be system-wide, but yes - you see why I took so long to
8 > > find it!
9 >
10 > It is even more weird this add-on provides just a search engine! It's not
11 > as if the add-on is related to a media player, or something you could
12 > expect it might need to touch audio.
13
14 I assume it's an inadvertent error: overwriting something it shouldn't. Don't
15 ask me what, though.
16
17 > I tried it on a plasma desktop and I can replicate the problem. However, I
18 > noticed if I go into Configure Audio Devices and select 'Analogue Stereo'
19 > and then 'Analogue Stereo Duplex' back & forth, the audio starts playing
20 > again. This is with a hard wired audio, no bluetooth.
21
22 No BT here either; I gave up on that some time ago.
23
24 > Any idea what the difference is between the various StartPage add-ons?
25
26 I have noticed that the ordinary startpage has started behaving differently in
27 recent versions. For instance, I searched for 'Best ...' once, and from then
28 on, when I opened a tab and typed a B, that 'Best ...' appeared, in bold,
29 right at the top. It couldn't be removed, even by deleting the add-on and
30 rebooting. I won't be using that again.
31
32 > Is StartPage to be trusted, anymore than all the rest mass surveillance
33 > corporates?
34
35 I don't know; is that what they do? Have you looked at https://
36 eu.startpage.com/ ?