From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ntp won't synchronize
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 19:53:45
1 On Feb 1, 2006, at 1:25 PM, James wrote:
2
3 > Devon Miller <devon.c.miller <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 >
5 >> Make sure you have told you firewall to allow port 123 for both TCP &
6 >> UDP.I had the same behavior until I did that.dcm
7 >
8 > Well my firewall should allow outgoing initiated sessions from the
9 > ntpd (internal) server. From what I read, the remote ntpd server
10 > does not initiate communications, it my server that initates the
11 > communications?
12 >
13 > That assumed, my firewall rules (which are undergoing revision) are
14 > ok?
15 >
16 > OK, I'm new to ntpd, but it looks straightforward.
17 >
18 > after emerging, I started up ntpd and added it to the default run
19 > level.
20 > Then I checked and got:
21 >
22 > ntpq -p
23 > remote refid st t when poll reach delay
24 > offset jitter
25 > ======================================================================
26 > ========
27 > ecoca.eed.usv.r 80.96.120.253 2 u 8 64 1 202.639
28 > 1436722 0.001
29 >
30 > then:
31 > # date
32 > Wed Feb 1 14:58:04 Local time zone must be set--see zic manual
33 > page 2006
36 > /etc/localtime is a lock file so where do I correct/set the time
37 > zone to
38 > EST (eastern standard time) so ntpd will see it can correct my
39 > actual time
40 > (it's off by a little more than (1) hour.
41 >
42 > But now when I run 'ntpq -p' I get:
43 > ntpq: read: Connection refused
44 >
45 > What did I mess up or miss?
46 >
47 is ntpd dying? ps -elf|grep ntp should show you something besides
48 the grep.
49 >
50 > James
58 > man zic and man ntpd did not help, or I missed the file to edit or the
59 > correct command syntax....
60 >
61 > James
65 > --