From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can genkernel install files with different names?
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 13:34:52
1 On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 10:42:14 +0100, Mick wrote:
2
3 > > I haven't used the symlink approach for some time. I use a script to
4 > > generate the entries for GRUB or systemd-boot. As I use a script to
5 > > build and install the kernel in the first place, there are no extra
6 > > steps as one script calls the other.
7 >
8 > I think I'll carry on with my manual kernel copying and naming
9 > approach. On modern UEFI machines I run efibootmgr to add/delete
10 > kernels and do not use a separate boot manager, or initrd images. So,
11 > it's not as if I have to automate what is already a rather simpler
12 > approach to upgrading kernels.
13
14 That makes sense for UEFI if you don't use an initrd or want to boot with
15 different kernel options.
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 Windows '96 artificial intelligence: Unable to FORMAT A: Having a go at C: