From: Jorge Almeida <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] java nightmare
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:51:16
1 On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, Dave Nebinger wrote:
2
3 > > > Another alternative is to install alsa. Granted you won't be using it
4 > > > because
5 > > > you don't have the hardware, but it might be enough to have a clean
6 > > > revdep-rebuild. Based on equery results, it looks like all you'd need to
7 > > > emerge is alsa-lib and alsa-headers, so you wouldn't be talking about a
8 > > > great
9 > > > deal of extra space...
10 > > Wouldn't that entail some error messages at boot time?
11 >
12 > Not as long as you're not loading the modules. Lib & headers do not have any
13 > runtime (service) components, sothey shouldn't have an impact.
14 >
15 > If they did, you would just need to remove them using rc-update.
18 OK, I'll try that. Or perhaps I give Sun a try, although I find the
19 hassle repulsive. After all, they're not charging for the product, so
20 what's the point of making downloading such a pain? Stupid, if they ask
21 me, which they don't, of course.
22
23 Thanks.
24 --