From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Any good way to pick global USE flag alternatives?
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 06:31:59
1 Can't come up with a more descriptive title for this one. The issue is this:
2
3 There are some global USE flags that allow users to pick alternative
4 methods of implementing the same thing. For example, packages that offer
5 a GUI might do so through the "qt" or "gtk" USE flag. Or audio support,
6 where you can choose "alsa" or "pulseaudio".
7
8 Now, if I wanted to, for example, always choose PulseAudio support
9 instead of ALSA and a Qt GUI instead of a Gtk+ one, one would think that
10 I could just do:
11
12 USE="pulseaudio qt -alsa -gtk"
13
14 in my make.conf. But, that doesn't work. That's because some packages
15 don't offer an alternative at all. Some package might only support ALSA
16 for audio, and disabling that would lead to the package not offering any
17 audio output at all. Or it might only offer a Gtk+ GUI, not a Qt one,
18 and disabling the "gtk" flag will make the package not building its GUI
19 component at all.
20
21 So what's needed here, is a way to tell Portage to only disable a global
22 USE flag for packages that also offer another one, specified by the
23 user. Like this pseudo make.conf syntax:
24
25 USE="pulseaudio pulseaudio?(-alsa) qt qt?(-gtk)"
26
27 Is something like this already possible? Right now, the only way to
28 painstakingly go through every single package that comes up on an
29 'USE=use_flags_here emerge -pDN @world' and insert them individually
30 into package.use.
31
32 There should be a proper way of doing this.