From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo accessibility re i'm blind,
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 16:13:58
1 Hi Majid,
4 On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 01:04:48PM +0100, Majid Hussain wrote:
5 > hi there,
6 > i'm blind and wanted to get started with gentoo.
7 > what's accessibility like?
8 > is there speech via orca the screen reader or sound on the minimal iso
9 > via espeakup provided?
10 > I red this document,
11 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Accessibility
12 > which seembs to be up-to-date, is there a update on this?
13 > not sure if this was the correct place to post my question?
14 > i'm a complete newb with gentoo I would be greatfull for your assistence,
15 > i'm looking for an adventure.
16
17 Yes, speakup and espeakup are available on the iso, and orca is
18 available in gnome. I haven't used gnome myself (I mostly use the
19 commandline via ssh) so I can't comment a whole lot about orca.
20
21 We also have brltty and emacspeak available in the repository. I don't
22 really use them personally so I haven't looked at them in some time.
23
24 Please feel free to ask any questions and welcome to Gentoo. :-)
25
26 William