From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} External video card with RCA output?
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 16:30:42
1 >>> Does anyone know of a self-powered external video card (USB, Firewire,
2 >>> ExpressCard) that has composite/RCA output and works in Gentoo?  I'd
3 >>> like to use it to connect my laptop (VGA output only) to TVs while I'm
4 >>> travelling.
5 >>
6 >> Something like this?
7 >>
8 >> http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223833
9 >>
10 >> OS compatibility isn't an issue because it only deals with
11 >> video signals. There is a USB connection to the computer, but
12 >> only to supply power.
13 >
14 > I've used various widgets similar to that, and they work fine.
15 > but remember than you're not going to get much more than
16 > 640x480 resolution on a TV via composite video.  Setting your
17 > desktop to 800x600 usually works OK, but things are going to be
18 > a bit on the fuzzy side.
19 >
20 > --
21 > Grant
22
23 That looks pretty slick and it has good reviews:
24
25 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815260011
26
27 Ideally, I'd like to get something with the option to use DVI or HDMI
28 as well as composite. Then it would need to be a sound card too
29 unless I was using separate audio cables. Does anyone know of
30 anything?
31
32 It might be even better to have a real external video and sound card
33 connected via a real USB interface. That way, you could use only an
34 HDMI cable, or you could run audio and video cables from the device to
35 the TV, instead of audio cables going from the laptop to the TV.
36 However, I'm not sure something like that exists. Here is something
37 that looks close:
38
39 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PSVBFY
40