From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: question for en_GB users of myspell-en dictionaries
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 23:09:54
1 On Tuesday 19 May 2015 17:43:57 »Q« wrote:
2
3 > The main difference between standard UK spelling and Oxford spelling is
4 > that Oxford spelling uses -ize endings (criticize, optimize) whereas
5 > standard UK spelling uses -ise. Using Oxford will make most readers
6 > think you're using American spelling, since Americans use -ize.
7
8 Yes, and I've never understood that. The -ise version is true to its French
9 origins (remember 1066?), while as far as I can see the -ize version has no
10 precedent. It also doesn't help with knowing which ending to use in a
11 particular case, so I've no idea why they've adopted it.
12
13 Moreover, Oxford English insists on that egregious comma before nearly every
14 "and", which is just stupid. It causes as many problems as it avoids, and it's
15 deadly to the flow of the sentence. I once argued about it with an American
16 contributor to an e-mail list, and was told "it's a matter of style". No.
17 Wrong. It's just slavish obedience of an arbitrary rule which cannot be
18 justified in any rational way. Just consider: "and" is equivalent to a comma in
19 most cases; it's how a child starts out until it learns something more
20 sophisticated. So pairing the two leaves us with nonsense.
21
22 Just my two penn'orth.
25 Rgds
26 Peter