From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] (OT) A eureka moment!
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 08:00:30
1 On Wednesday 03 May 2006 02:33, "Anthony E. Caudel" <acaudel@×××××.com>
2 wrote about '[gentoo-user] (OT) A eureka moment!':
3 > Do all audio cd's have the mp3's and ogg files on them also????
4
5 Nope.
6
7 > I happened to look at one with konqueror and noticed several files and
8 > directories on it. [H]ow was I able to view it and
9 > copy from it?
10
11 That's just KDE being KDE. kio_audiocd reads the TOC, looks that up in
12 CDDB/FreeCDDB and generates "virtual folders" that contain the "virtual
13 files" representing original wavs, metadata, and metadata-loaded oggs and
14 mp3s. When you move a "virtual file" to a real folder, it kicks in again
15 to actually generate the data represented by pulling the audio data from
16 the CD (and putting though an encoder and adding tags, as needed).
17
18 You change change the auto-encoder setting (among other things) under
19 Control Center -> Sound & Multimedia -> Audio CDs.
22 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
23 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
24 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
25 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh