From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HP9000 laptop complete (almost)
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 12:13:08
1 On Wednesday 01 August 2007, James wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > First of all, I'd like to thank everyone that has endured and
5 > answered my emails over the past few days related to the
6 > installation of an hp laptop. It is finally working fine.
7 >
8 > Looking a /var/log/Xorg.0.log there are numerous problems with
9 > fonts. Since I always seem to be moving over (word) documents
10 > from windows, I need as many fonts installed as possible, related
11 > to what one might expect from word documents. Additionally, I need
12 > to maintain a robust set of gentoo/linux centric fonts.
13 >
14 > <snip>
15 > (WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/share/fonts/util".
16 > Entry deleted from font path.
17 [snip more WW]
18
19 These don;t matter, as all of them just say that X is to look for a font
20 in a dir which doesn't exist. It's just cruft on the screen
21
22 > For now I have these fonts listed in my xorg.conf file on most gentoo
23 > systems I maintain:
24 >
25 > Section "Files"
26 > FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/util"
27
28 [snip long FontPath]
31 > Now looking at /usr/portage/media-fonts I do not see a one to one
32 > naming convention between what is listed in the
33 > /usr/portage/media-fonts dir and the gentoo ebuild names (eix
34 > fonts). Neither of those correspond either to what is listed in
35 > xorg.conf.
36
37 Well, the ebuild names displayed by eix must be the same as those
38 in /usr/portage/media-fonts, otherwise portage can't be working.
39
40 eix's default behaviour is to search for the argument in the *ebuild*
41 name. It looks like you are expecting it to find the search string in
42 the *category* name as well, which it won't do. So, 'eix dejavu' won't
43 find media-fonts/dejavu.
44
45 The dirs listed in xorg.conf can come from a variety of sources - stuff
46 you put there yourself, stuff that got put there by old outdated
47 ebuilds, etc, etc, etc. You will probably always need to verify those
48 settings by hand in real life.
49
50 > Is there a 'fonts-meta' package? <it's rhetorical question>....
51
52 No. I doubt there will ever be one as very very few people will ever
53 need or want every font available in portage. The thing to do is to
54 emerge each set of fonts that you do want individually.
55
56 > So how does one go about systematically installing and maintaining
57 > a complete set of fonts on a gentoo system, particularly those
58 > related to a variety of windows generated document fonts
59
60 The main problem you will run into in your case is probably license
61 issues with the font. Some cannot be installed just anywhere you want
62 and some may only be run on Windows. As long as you are licensed to use
63 the fonts, simpy have the .ttf be placed in the correct location per
64 the wiki pages you mention below. That's all you need to do.
65
66 Sadly, it is a manual process to continually ensure you have all the
67 fonts you need.
68
69 alan
74 Optimists say the glass is half full,
75 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
76 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
77
78 Alan McKinnon
79 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
80 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
81 --
82 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list