From: daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage should rebuild kaffeine after libdvdcss installed?
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 05:22:26
1 2009/10/5 Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj@×××××.es>:
2 > On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 15:42:22 +0100, Stroller
3 > <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 >> On 5 Oct 2009, at 15:18, Jesús Guerrero wrote:
5 >>
6 >> I actually find this a little surprising. I might have thought that
7 >> the devs might have separated the decryption and playback components:
8 >> one could imagine it being legal to play back a region 0 DVD in some
9 >> territories, but not to install or operate encryption "circumvention"
10 >> software.
11 >
12 > Yes, I agree, USE flags are a bit fuzzy. Even if legality wasn't a
13 > problem, still it's not accurate to use such a name for an use flag that
14 > adds support for decryption. It's even funnier when you realize that you
15 > don't even need to enable it to play all the dvd's (only encrypted ones).
16 > In such cases, the best thing is to fill an enhancement bug and hope for
17 > the best. I might do that later if I manager to remember it.
18
19 Yeah, I'm agreeing about this notion. Particularly with the legality
20 issues, there might be some desire to separate watching unencrypted
21 DVDs from encryption.
22
23 I suppose if the enhancement bug is filed, a suggested name for the
24 new USE flag is something like dvd-crypto.
25
26 Regards,
27 daid