From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Machine reboots immediately when suspended-to-disk
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 21:30:09
1 On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 08:54:02PM -0400, Albert Hopkins wrote
2
3 > Ok the echo trick isn't the recommended way to suspend to disk. A
4 > better way is to use "pm-hibernate --quirks" (pm-hibernate is from the
5 > pm-utils packages). The --quirks option will try to handle any, well,
6 > quirks that are known with your hardware. echo'ing to /sys/power/state
7 > is a little more low-level and could be iffy on some types of hardware.
8
9 I ended up emerging hibernate-script and it runs great. I added a few
10 tweaks to hibernate.conf. Here's what it looks like...
11
12 TryMethod disk.conf
13 Distribution gentoo
14 OnResume 00 setfont lat1-10
15 DownInterfaces auto
16 UpInterfaces auto
17 UseSysfsPowerState disk
18 PowerdownMethod shutdown
19
20 As for pm-utils...
21 <RANT>
22 Why the bleep can't some programmers go to the bathroom without invoking
23 hal and dbus? They're hard-coded dependancies for pm-utils. I've
24 managed to keep hal and dbus (and java and pam) off my machine, and will
25 continue doing so. If I had a bunch of money lying around, I'd hire some
26 programmers to seriously slim down Firefox while I was at it. There is
27 no reason a browser should need an SQL database.
28 </RANT>
29
30 > You should also check dmesg. More than likely there is a kernel error
31 > that explains why it failed to suspend completely.
32
33 Nothing obvious in dmesg when I tried manually shutting down. The
34 listing showed the system shutting down, and then starting up. No
35 warnings, let alone errors.
38 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>