From: Anirban Brahmachari <a.brahmachari@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Problem with logging in as non-root user after installation is finished
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 11:18:37
1 I finished installing Gentoo Linux 2005.1 after a long 16 hour
2 struggle on my system ( Pentium III, 256MB ram, 2 x 20GB ATA hard
3 disks, CDRW drive, optical scroll mouse ).
4 The first package ( and its dependencies) that I installed from the
5 Packages CD was gdm.
6 emerge -k gdm
7 It installed fine and allowed both root and non-root users to log in.
8 But gnome and openoffice were not installed yet.
9 So I emerged x11followed by openoffice-bin.
10 After that finished, I found that I could not log in as a non root
11 user from gdm.
12 I then tried logging in as a non root user at the command line console.
13 My username is "anirban".
14 Again, I could not log in and it said that my home directory was not found.
15 /home/anirban - directory not found
16 I then logged in as root and tried
17 su anirban
18 Again it gave the same message : home directory not found.
19 But I checked and found the directory /home/anirban existed and its
20 permissions were rwxr-xr-x and its owership was anirban.
21
22 PLEASE HELP !!
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list