From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting X11 to "underscan"...
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 12:20:55
1 On Monday, October 17, 2016 07:48:29 PM Jigme Datse Yli-RAsku wrote:
2 > So far after much digging on the TV I haven't found a way to actually get it
3 > to do what I want. I'm not sure if it even can. I will look when I next
4 > get access to the system (currently in use by other members of the
5 > household). Perhaps somewhere we have a manual for it? I really don't
6 > know.
7 >
8 > I agree, that it would be preferable to not have to make the computer fudge
9 > it, but if after having spent time trying to fix it on the TV itself
10 > multiple times, only to find that all options I have found, end up
11 > producing very undesirable results (such as displaying it a 4:3 aspect
12 > ratio, or a 2:1 aspect ratio). I'll see if I can find what I need.
13 >
14 > I do know that if I could get the TV to change the setting for that so it
15 > doesn't end up overscanning, without doing other "weird" stuff, it would
16 > mean that I could see the full boot process, not missing bits of it off the
17 > edge of the screen.
20 Once upon a time, in the days of analog displays, we used modelines to
21 accomplish what you're doing.
22
23 I don't think modelines work with pure-digital outputs, though. Does your TV
24 have a VGA input, and does your box have a VGA output? That would be an
25 effective, if not ideal, solution.
26
27 Alternately, have you tried setting your display to an unusual resolution?
28 What's the output of the xrandr command? It should give you a list of
29 supported resolutions refresh rates, including flags to tell you which ones are
30 selected and which ones are recommended. Often, with digital TVs, there will
31 be a resolution you can use that evades the TV's overscan emulation.
34 :wq